Notion Tip: Create a new page and select
Lesson Plan from the list of available templates to automatically generate the format below. Learn more about database templates here.
- What are the principal learning objectives from this lesson?
- What role does this lesson play in the greater course?
- How do you imagine this class affecting individual students' depth of knowledge, judgement, analytical skills, or other capabilities?
Teaching Opportunities and Challenges
- What compelling topics, points of tension, or potentially surprising or counterintuitive insights stand out in the case? How will you leverage these to engage your students in discussion and debate?
- What might this audience find challenging or confusing? How will you manage this discussion?
- When might the class be at greatest risk of going off-track? How might you manage contingencies should difficulty arise?
- How might you draw upon relevant connections between this class session and your own research or experience?
- What issues or pieces of analysis should be covered during the discussion?
- How will you sequence the discussion pastures and how much time should be devoted to each? What is the logic underlying each transition from one pasture to another?
- How will your board plan support the class design and facilitate student learning?
- What comments, if any, will you make to introduce the discussion? Why?
- What is the rationale behind your opening question?
- Which student will you select as the opener? Why?
- How do you expect the discussion to emerge following the opener’s initial response?
- What follow-up questions within each pasture will motivate students to think beyond their initial contributions?
- How will you phrase the transition between each pasture?
- What question will you use to introduce each pasture following the opening discussion?
- How will you incorporate student backgrounds into the discussion? Are there specific students who should/should not be encouraged to contribute during particular pastures?
- How might you stimulate students to think beyond this class and develop insights through linkages across classes, modules, and courses?
- How do you plan to close the class discussion? Why?
- What are the risks of providing too much closure at the end of this class? Too little?